Cultural understanding

The word culture is composed of various aspects. The concepts included in the definition of the word are beliefs, values, customs and ideas of a person that are derived from ethnic background, family, community and social components of an individual. Culture is dynamic and changes with time. Culture is inherited from one generation to another. Parents pass some values and customs to their children (Potrac, Jones,  Cassidy, 2004).

Ways in which culture had an impact on my life
My community has great value for the family. People without family backgrounds are valued less and are sometimes seen as outcasts (Smyth, Krahn,  Boehm, 1999). The success of any man or woman is pegged on how successful hisher family is. Having been born in a poor family, we had nothing or nowhere to call our own. Although we have lived in severe poverty, my family has remained united and we focus on success in the future. We have a strong believe that the culture of our community is to value the family as the foundation of everything in a persons life. Though not written, there are specific duties, roles, rules and regulations that govern each one of us in our family. My father has the role to cater for the financial needs and to act as a leader of the entire family members. My mother acts like a deputy and her role is to maintain the house in good order as well as support my father in daily activities. Being the first borne and the eldest son, I have many responsibilities. I have the obligation of being a role model to my younger brothers and sisters. My family expects me to lead the family when my parents are absent. My siblings have a role to ensure they perform the duties assigned to them. As children, our parents expect us to respect them and to have love for each other. My parents have emphasized about the unity in our family. Conflicts are solved amicably and all factors that may divide the family members are eliminated as soon as they are realized.

Education has a great value in my culture. People believe that education increases opportunities for success and that it earns a person respect from other people in the society (Wallach, 2005).  My parents were unable to acquire adequate education due to poverty and the ignorance of their parents. They were denied the opportunity to acquire education and this remained a great challenge to them. I have put pressure to myself to achieve the highest level of education so that I can compensate what my parents have lacked in their life. This culture of education has made me to belief that I will achieve the highest possible academic achievement. My parents have supported and encouraged me to continue pursuing my academic goals. My family has a great value for education and all my siblings have attended school.

What I have learned about myself and society as a result.
The family is the foundation of every human activity (Wallach, 2005). The success or failure of an individual is much determined by hisher family set up. I have come to appreciate the fact that the family is composed of several units and all these units must be united for the success of the family. An individual cannot run the family alone and it requires the support from all members. Parents should act as leaders in the family so that their children can learn good values from them (Potrac, Jones,  Cassidy, 2004).

My parents effort to educate me has encouraged me to appreciate education. Though they were not educated, my parents have had the zeal to educate me to the highest academic level possible. This has encouraged me to study hard to achieve the best possible academic pursuit. The society has a great value for education. The educated people are appreciated by the society and are believed to be great assets in the community (Wallach, 2005).

How my own cultural history has enriched andor challenged me
The responsibilities bestowed upon me as a first borne and the eldest son in the family have challenged me to become more accurate with my actions. I have acquired the skills of feeling about the needs of other people. This involves provision of love, support, finances and any other form of help that I can afford to people in need.

Through the emphasis of education that my parents and the culture in general have had on me, I have managed to achieve a bachelors degree and planning to attend my masters degree. The culture of appreciating education has enriched me and has given me the drive to excel in my academics. In my high school studies, I faced a lot of challenges. I became sick while my second year exam was in progress. This caused me to repeat the entire second years studies. After joining third year my father was transferred from his place of job. This forced me to attend another school which had fewer resources. Despite all these challenges, I put a lot effort to achieve the best grade in my final exams. When I joined the university, strikes by students and lecturers affected my studies but I never gave up on my desire to get my degree. I finally graduated with a first degree. It is the culture of valuing education that compelled me to bear the problems that I encountered.

Conclusion
People should value their families since it is only through the family that an individual can be able to succeed in the outside world. The family unit is the basic unit of the society. People should appreciate their families and much effort should be put to ensure that family members are united. All members of the family should have common goals since divisions within the family leads to breakdown of the family. Children should respect their parents at all times. The parents should provide love and the other needs to their children. Fathers should act as leaders of the family since in any organization, there must be a leader. Mothers should support their husbands as well as managing the entire family activities.

Education is the key to success. Eradication of poverty and ignorance can be achieved through education. People ought to put a lot of effort to achieve their academic dreams. Determination in education helps a person to pass through many challenges in the academic journey. The society has recognized education as the mainstay of survival. The educated people are recognized by the society due to the great value for education.

0 comments:

Post a Comment